Search This Blog

Monday, November 7, 2011

The busiest (and best) time of the year

By Mick Holien on November 4, 2011 3:31 PM



There's that old thing about meeting yourself coming and going - well that's about to make its yearly appearance as the crossover between football and basketball hits full stride next week.
Now it's not like I'm complaining because every Griz fan knows I have the best job in the country and many would trade places in a heartbeat, but try this schedule on for size.
Of course as well as the games for both hoop and football, there are plenty of additional writing responsibilities which of course include this blog.
And then there's the challenge of figuring out which game to prepare for first - It's not as easy as it sounds - and which school to obtain prep information from and when so it's available when you're on the road at another venue.
There's been many a time during my tenure that I realized at the last minute, not only that I might be missing a key piece of radio gear but that I hadn't obtained the needed credentials or information or the like and had to scramble at the last minute to do so.
Living in the beautiful confines of Polson makes it more interesting but thanks to Rob Stack and J.C Weida and Steve Hackney before them, when football is headed on the road I am able to meet the equipment truck Friday rather than having to have everything organized and loaded on Thursday.
So here we go. A look at the travels of Grizvox for the rest of the month. Climb aboard and keep in mind my renters and my watchdog thankfully handle the at-home responsibilities.
Of course we kick it off with Tuesday's weekly radio show at Paradise Falls followed by travel to Denver Thursday afternoon for Friday's regular-season opener with Colorado State on Friday.
Baring that early-season snow storm that Denver is famous for, we return to Missoula Saturday afternoon with Great Falls and the University of Idaho coming to Missoula for games Monday and Thursday wrapped around another coach's show.
Travel to Bozeman of course is on Friday's agenda with the Cat game Saturday, then staying in Bozeman for travel to San Diego early Sunday morning for hoop that afternoon.
Monday hopefully is a down day in California with just practice, then aboard a plane to North Dakota for Wednesday game with travel to Missoula on Thanksgiving afternoon.
Long Beach State visits Dahlberg Arena on Thanksgiving Saturday and of course there is the possibility of either football travel or home playoff obligations.
Sprinkle in some board responsibilities with the Lake County Tax Appeal and Solid Waste Management, a doctor's appointment or two and welcome to the leisure world of the radio guy. Oh poor Mick, a pity party please.
My best friend told me somebody would say that so I beat you to it, lol.
That gets me through the next three weeks and make no mistake I love it and wouldn't trade the opportunity for anything but if I look worn out be sure to remind me of those summer days I cherish on Flathead Lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment